• Apfeltalk ändert einen Teil seiner Allgemeinen Geschäftsbedingungen (AGB), das Löschen von Useraccounts betreffend.
    Näheres könnt Ihr hier nachlesen: AGB-Änderung

D-Link DNS-320 Time Machine LAN transfer rate

wierer-sigi

Erdapfel
Hallo,

I have setup my DNS320 with the new Firmware 2.05. Connected to a small Cisco Router with 1GB LAN.

Now I have started Time Machine and after 24h 107GB from 700 GB are transmitted. When I started the Time Machine Backup, the system told me less than 6 hour.

When I look on the traffic via i-stat pro I see that the traffic varies between 1k/sec and 10 M/sec.

This means it will take up to 6 days.

Has anybody an idea what can I do to make it faster.

I use the following equipment.

DNS 320 - V 2.05 - Raid 1 - two identical Samsung HDD 1500 GB ( HD154UI )
IiMac 27 i7 - OSX 10.11.1 with SSD Samsung 840 Pro
Switch Cisco SD20008 behind a Speedport W921V

Thank you in advance

Regards Sigi

Farafan

deaktivierter Benutzer
Hello Siggi and a warm welcome to Apfeltalk.
This case seems in case a little bit strange.

Have you already checked the transfer rate from iMac to your router ? What about reading from your NAS and speed of internet connection? Sometimes only a cable connection can cause such a lack of speed.
I don´t know your router, you should check for connection speed of the ports via web interface. Some routers allow an energy saving mode with reduced speed.

We first should start with some easy steps to figure out about your problem.

wierer-sigi

Erdapfel
Hallo Farafan,

thanks first for you warm welcome.

Yes, i've check the transfer rate via i-stat tool. ( and here I see a very variable transfer rate. Most of the time less than 10 kb/sec, than sometime going up to 10 MBit/s and afterward 300KBit/s )

Internet is not involved, I only use my LAN for the backup.

If just done a second activity parallel to the time machine backup.
I opend in Finder a new folder on the DNS-320 and started copy a movie ( 3,08 GB ). And looked see that the traffic speed goes up to 30 40 Mbit/sec.
Therefore I think LAN switch, LAN setting is ok.

Regards Sigi

Farafan

deaktivierter Benutzer
Yes, i've check the transfer rate via i-stat tool. ( and here I see a very variable transfer rate. Most of the time less than 10 kb/sec, than sometime going up to 10 MBit/s and afterward 300KBit/s )
Only while transfer of Time Machine or in general?

A changing transfer speed while backup is normal (it depends on the size of the transfered files), but about an initial backup of 700 GB I would calculate a maximum of 6 hours via LAN.

What I found is an setup instruction for Time Machine by D-Link. Would you pls check the described steps? Some NAS needs a little bit special setup for TM.

Doppelpass

Englischer Kantapfel
Hi Sigi, warum schreibst Du nicht einfach in Deutsch?

wierer-sigi

Erdapfel
Hallo,

Problem gelöst.

Habe den DNS-320 neu aufgesetzt mit den selben Einstellungen wie in der Anleitung und er hatte die 600 GB in 11 Std. gesichert.

Trotzdem Danke
Sigi

Reaktionen: Farafan